Saturday, July 6, 2013

Poems and Such

Lots of ideas but not a real blog post this time, just a smattering of poems that have come to me lately.
They need to be distilled perhaps but they are who they are for now.

Thanks for reading if you do; it's always good to be grounded by the sounding board of other's ideas and thoughts!

At That Age
It’s not teenagers,
But the twenty-something’s that should bear
the grimace of society.
Teens hunger and thirst, they struggle and bend,
Emotive, restless, straining toward.
20’s sit smug in pools of stagnant ambition,
Mouths open like baby birds for warmth and food and approbation
Tossing no longer jacks or colored balls but ideas back and forth
Stretched out on couches like the Enlightenment’s elite
Noshing on lattes and relevant ethics
While their parents, with aching smiles, stand beside.
Nothing for them but bland replies,
Whose backs were bent at 20 forging paths
With delicate dreams
and pocketed coins to pay the rent.

 This is (obviously) about my own introspection and selfish tendencies in my early twenties. And also about what I see around me from time to time.


Night Falling
Sometimes the moon is just right,
Over the house
A crisp crescent the cow jumped over
And the sounds of the music are just right,
Slow, steady, moody and blue
 
The evening sky pale through dark leaf-lace
Luminous, colorless, grey-scudded clouds
And the garden lamps glow on
The evening shower that passed
Minutes ago
Leaving drips on dim flowers
Musky in the gathering dusk
 
And the moon is just right,
When you look up,
The night’s soft arms are folding
‘Round colors of grey and white
 
It’s a good time to be alone and breathe
In the voluminous air of the night.



 This one I wrote quickly on my phone memo-pad one evening after a rain shower as I was walking into the house. The moon was perfect, and the radio still coming from the car speakers fit the mood exactly.





Free
I’ll rent a space, where they race snow machines over high fields, and swings go up and down too high to hear the recess bell.
I’ll climb a tree in the dark, where they can’t find me and wouldn’t think to look. Or wander through the pitch black where the noise of an animal, probably wild, doesn’t scare me as much as going back.
I’ll take a walk in an odd direction, and in the space between being lost and being gone too long I’ll feel the joy of heedless breezes that come from anywhere.
I’ll climb some stairs to a grey haven, an attic room with a rectangle of window and just a bed and a wood floor.
I’ll bend to buttercups with my child self, little girl with no care too large to hold out and drop on the world.
I’ll pay my rent when it is due. In the space between I’ll hide from you.


This one also dropped out of my head in a hurry. Sometimes I like these better than the ones I tweak and puzzle over for an interminable length of time. The fast free verse stream-of-consciousness poems don't win prizes, though.


 

Disappointment

 
Tin taste and lead
Grey stone swallowed
And stuck
Long white hallways
End in space
Pace the miles
Drift right and left\ backward/ forward
A sneeze dies behind the nose
 
Burst into laughter once
Glitter in the eyes
A caked-on smile
A wait-a-while
 
Burnt smell and dead
Fish in the pan
Not fried
Not half alive
Indelible
Print inside
On the live wire
Pulled out
Frayed, splayed
 
Push the whole mess off the counter.
Push      the      whole
Green, purple, and some red. Same as the dead. And guns going off all day in my head.
 
 
 
(Quick! Call a psychiatrist! Ha ha!) This is a strange one but I love the way it pulls the angst out of my soul. I read it now and then for catharsis.
 
Bye for now!


 

2 comments:

  1. Pam, these are so beautiful. Thanks so much for sharing these. I like them all, for the emotion they trigger in me with such few words, just as poems should, but I epically like "Free". Oh it resonates as kindred spirit in my own heart, and in the things we sometimes still long for. Thank you Pam. You truly have a gift!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your meaningful words Bettina :) I appreciate it so much! Thinking of you guys on your bike trip, and hope you feel some real freedom on the road!

      Delete

Thanks for commenting!
Please copy your comment before sharing, as often comments get lost if you aren't signed in with a Google account. If you have trouble, sign in with your Google account, or email me at pdgraham074@gmail.com with your comment!